Monday, November 5, 2018

The Case of the Disappearing Vest


Since it was Halloween a few days ago, I thought I'd talk about something a little bit creepy.  

My mum recently had her favorite leather vest disappear, and then reappear weeks later.  She had looked all over the house for it, including the place where she eventually found it, but it was nowhere to be seen for all that time.  Then suddenly, there it was.

Your first instinct would be to think of rational explanations - someone else borrowed it then put it back, someone moved it to play a prank on you, or you are just forgetful - but none of these were the case.

I recalled hearing of things like this in the past, so I Googled it.  People on message boards or commenting under articles called it DOP - disappearing object phenomenon.  There are various theories that the people had about what causes this.  Some said mischievous ghosts, trolls, or fairies, some said things about parallel universes intersecting, time tunnels, and sci-fi things like that.  It makes for interesting reading, especially near Halloween, but there are no clear answers.

I do know that an old friend and roommate of mine, Mary (nickname Phred - I probably shouldn't put her last name) told me that she had the ability to make things disappear.  She said she could make things not visible to people, like pens or their keys, when they were really right there.  She had other abilities, too, like seeing the future (especially bad things that would happen, which she didn't like) and astral projecting (she appeared once in her brother's room (far away) and he got very upset by it).  

I know you might think it sounds unbelievable, but if you knew Mary/Phred, she was the sweetest, most lovely person, and she wouldn't make anything up.  She was just an honest, caring, truthful person, all around.  Nothing about her would make me think she was ever lying.


Another strange thing that happened once was with a rosary of mine.  I'm not Catholic, but I've always thought rosaries were very beautiful.  Years ago I received one that used to belong to my husband's grandmother, who I never met.  My husband and I always talked about wanting to get her name engraved on the back of the cross.  One time I looked at it and the name was there.  Neither one of us remembered having it done.  Now, if I would forget doing it, that might make sense, because I forget a lot of things, but my husband has a great memory and he didn't remember taking it in.  It's not a thing that I would ever have done by myself either.  

I know most people have strange stories like this.  If I thought about it, I do have more that I could tell, too, but for now this is enough to think about, because I don't want to freak myself out too much!
☺️